Want to connect great problem solvers around the world in creating a global engine of change? Good, we want you.
UNICEF Office of Innovation is looking for a superbly organized, highly adaptable, entrepreneurial Event Assistant to support the team's Event Lead on a number of high-visibility events in H1 2017. The work will include conceptualization, coordination and execution.
The Office of Innovation identifies promising new technologies (incl. data science, SMS technologies, UAVs) that have potential to impact UNICEF core operations (education, health, disaster response). Through our network of technology companies, UNICEF Country Offices and academic institutions, we construct pilots to quickly determine if projects should be continued or discontinued. The Office of Innovation in New York provides support to innovation leads in Country Offices and consists of a flat team of technologists, designers, programmers, researchers and communication specialists. Requests for collaboration, advice and support are fielded from UNICEF programmes, and other parts of the UN system.
We also have a small venture fund – the UNICEF Innovation Fund – which provides resources to quickly assess, fund and scale companies, teams, and ideas that have been developed in new and emerging markets. The Innovation Fund supports the generation of open source, public goods that address the most pressing challenges facing children. You will support in crafting events that help spread awareness of the Innovation Fund to potential startups, investors and entrepreneur communities, build a pipeline of funding opportunities to companies graduating from the fund and reach people and organizations that can serve as mentors / incubators to investees globally.
You will work out of UNICEF Headquarters in Manhattan, New York, alongside an awesome team of about 15 technologists, developers, research scientists, designers and communication specialists. You will work on a few high-visibility events and a number of smaller tasks. You must know the ins and outs of event planning and coordination. You must be organized. We bring maximum results with minimum resources:
You must know how to think epic and execute in a scrappy way (and vice versa)
We work very fast, we embrace startup culture, and we have an amazing network of collaborators around the world who help us find solutions for the biggest problems facing humanity, particularly children. We find ways to connect to the academic, public and private sector, and make co-action happen. Our team consists of the Ventures team in New York, the Futures team based in San Francisco and the Scale up/Global Innovation Centre team based in Bangkok & Nairobi.
As an Event Assistant, we seek someone who will:
• support the team's Event Lead on a number of high-visibility events in H1 2017
• craft events and engagement opportunities in a way that helps build the base of potential Innovation Fund investees, mentors, incubators and pipeline of future funding opportunities for UNICEF's portfolio of investments
• handle overall event milestones and deliverables, coordination, logistics and production timelines to meet deadlines
• manage lines of communication and maintain relationships with event agencies; various UNICEF Country Offices, National Committees and program departments; our collaborators at other UN agencies; partners from academia, private sector, and government
• contribute to the development and maintenance of the Unit's network of contacts, event calendar, event "watchlist" and other resources, in close coordination with the Events Lead
4 projects that the candidate will be expected to support:
• UN Data Innovation Lab Workshop #4: A series of thematic workshops focusing on creating awareness about applications of new data sources, aligning on strategies to solve data-related challenges and strengthening agencies' ability to utilize data for decision making.
• UN Data Innovation Lab Workshop #5: As above.
• Nairobi Innovation Week: A week-long event supported by UNICEF Office of Innovation that brings together the worlds of innovation, entrepreneurship and art.
• Global Team Meeting: Third ever meeting convening staff from across UNICEF to share, learn and brainstorm on how innovation works across UNICEF.
Bachelor's degree or Master's degree
2-3 years of professional experience in a relevant field (event organization, communications, production, marketing, etc)
Specialized Experience and Knowledge required for the assignment
Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language preferred